Pages

Monday 8 June 2015

The Clock Was On For The Final Holes at Whistle Bear...

Norway's Suzann Pettersen is all smiles after winning the Manulife LPGA Classic by one stroke on Sunday. The top Canadian was Alena Sharp, who finished in 27th.
The TV coverage for the LPGA Manulife Classic this past weekend was brutal.  We hardly got to watch any of the girls play except their final holes and even some of that was highlights from earlier on that day.  Thursday and Friday these girls were teeing off at 7:30 in the morning yet we couldn’t see any of our Canadian hopefuls play.  I had a couple of golfers come in over the past couple days and ask me about this “being on the clock for slow play” thing and it reminded me of when I was playing Junior and Varsity golf and that being a major problem for some of the girls to me I have my pre-shot routine down to seconds so slow play was never a problem.  Now having said that if we were looking for lost a ball that does add time to each hole but you just have to get moving after that.  Committing to each shot and sticking with it instead of second guessing yourself leads to success. 
Now onto my recap from Whistle Bear:
Even though Suzann Pettersen had her worst round at the LPGA Classic on Sunday, she was still able to pull out the win.  On the clock for slow play and down a shot to Brittany Lang with three holes to go, Pettersen drained birdie putts on holes 16 and 17, before a par on 18 to win the LPGA Classic by one stroke at 22-under par.
Suzanne was quoted saying: “I was pretty flawless through three rounds and broke that effort pretty quickly with a couple of bogeys, but I managed to get my head together and play some good golf. I played aggressive and it was a good day on the golf course.”
We were all rooting for Canadian Brooke Henderson to do well on home soil but it just wasn’t in the cards for her this week. 
“I saw coming through nine (the cut) was minus-4 and I thought, ‘Boy, I have a lot of work to do,’” Henderson said after she made her way around the 6,613-yard layout at two-under 70.
“I really grinded deep and I really found a lot of inner strength because I could have easily given up, but instead, I got myself a lot of birdies coming in,” she said.
“Even if I don’t make the cut today, I think I learned a lot about myself and my game coming down the stretch.”
I was really impressed with Stratford’s Natalie Gleadall this past weekend.  Natalie and I played some junior golf together growing up. I am so proud of how well she this weekend.  Natalie was quoted: “It has taken me four years to (qualify for) this tournament. I’m just super excited to be able to play the weekend,” 
"I've definitely overcome a lot of things and I've persisted. But without my parents, I would never be here and I'm just really thankful to have made the cut and kind of prove to myself that I can play out here," Natalie said.  Keep up the good work Natalie!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment