Pages

Thursday 7 March 2013

Sunset's Own: Donna Partridge:

Today’s interview features a new member to the Goderich Sunset Golf Course.  A lady who started the 2012 season on the Baby Boomer Course and improved enough to feel confident to play on the Sunset course by mid season.   I am so pleased with how far Donna has come and her commitment to improving her golf game is evident.
Why did you pick up the game of golf?

 I picked golf mostly because it is played outside, in the summer months (I love the heat), I can play it until I am a little old lady and the only person I have to compete against is myself.  I have never been much of a “team sport’ fan.

What part of the day do you like playing in best?

I enjoy playing from about mid morning into the afternoon.  Not an early riser and like to be back home or at least sitting on the deck by about 4:00 pm.

What was your proudest golf moment?

We just started playing on the 18 hole course last year after many years away from the sport.  I actually made a par on 18, 2 to the green and 2 puts.  I was delighted.

What do you look most forward to in the new 2013 season?

Looking forward to the ladies leagues,. Both on the 9 and 18 hole courses.  I am also looking forward to playing with some of the other couples we have met over this past season.

What kind of golf clubs do you play with and why?

I picked the Nancy Lopez Ashley Series.  They were affordable and are made for women.  I really like the weights as they are not too heavy but seem balanced. Donna has just been fitted for new Ping Clubs...stay tuned for her thoughts on them.

What are your goals for the 2013 season? 

My biggest challenge is to learn to “stay down” through my swing.  I am entirely too anxious to see where it goes!  This year I also want to play in more tournaments, get some more distance off the tee and do better on the fairways.  My nemesis is my fairway clubs and I need to work on those.

What was the best golf advice you got? 

The best advice I got was from my husband who said “Get some lessons”.  Getting lessons from a pro improved my game and helped me focus on the areas I needed to work on.

What is your favourite golf club in your bag?

My favourite club is my 7 iron.  It is the right length, the right weight and I get about 110 yards, if I hit it right.

What advice would you give to a new golfer?
Get some lessons from a pro.  Don’t fiddle around on the driving range trying to figure it out yourself.  A pro can get you on the right track and save you a lot of time and frustration.

What is the strangest golf rule you have come across?

How come I can pick up a muddy ball on the green, clean it and place it back, BUT I can’t do that on the fairway.  Does not make any sense to me at all.  Should be one rule for the whole course.

 What do you like the most about Goderich Sunset Golf Club?

I love the friendly staff and management.  We are always made to feel so welcome.  I also love that there are both courses to choose from.  The 9 hole is great fun, helps me with my game and is a challenge.  The 18 is beautiful, a real challenge for me, not too long and very well kept.  Another favourite, is being able to sit, enjoy a glass of wine and an excellent meal after playing golf.

 Did you find that the lessons you took with me were helpful?

Absolutely.  The thing I found the most helpful is that you work with where I am.  You did not try to change everything I was doing but pointed out one or two things to work on.  And, it worked.  You don’t make this too complicated but help me to see that I can do this.  Will be booking back in for a spring tune up as soon as this white stuff melts.

No comments:

Post a Comment