Pages

Thursday 7 February 2013

The Beautiful Taylor Schmidt...

I am so excited to bring you readers a very unique interview.  This lovely young lady and I have known each other for years.Taylor’s journey has not been easy but she always comes out on top.  Taylor is not only a gorgeous girl but she is genuinely the sweetest, hard working girl I know.  I don’t remember a time when I seen her and she wasn’t smiling ear to ear.  I am so proud of you girl for following your dreams and working so hard even when times got tough.  All the best with the rest of your school year girl!!
- Go Boomers Go

How old were you when your started golfing?
I first started playing competitive golf at the age of 10 at Kincardine Golf & Country Club.

You were an elite junior golfer can you explain what that means to my readers?

I practiced hard there and it lead me to be considered an "elite junior golfer" in Ontario. This basically means that you have played in several high level tournaments and had good finishes in those events. The hard work paid off and I got to go on scholarship to the University of Oklahoma.
What is your favourite class so far in University?
In terms of schooling, my favourite class at OU would have to be Nutrition and Developmental Psychology.
What was the best advice you were given for your golf game?
The best piece of advice I have been given for my golf game would be from my assistant coach at school. He always tells me "You belong out here. Play like the girl I know." It may seem simple but having someone reassure you is so helpful and it has clicked for me.
What is your top 3 favourite golf courses and why?

My top 3 favourite golf courses are probably Vanderbilt Legends (Franklin, TN), The Patriot (Tulsa, OK), The University of Georgia Golf Course (Athens, GA).

 
What do you feel are the benefits of playing a Par 3 Executive Golf Course?
There are so many benefits of playing a par 3 course. You get the opportunity to work on short to mid to long irons but the emphasis is really on your short game. Short game is where you either make up ground or lose it. The best players in the world have phenomenal short games and I think a par 3 course would be incredibly useful.
Who is your favourite player on the LPGA?
My favorite player on the LPGA is Paula Creamer because she has brought so much attention to the game for women and she isn't afraid to take risks and continuously works hard.

What was the deciding factor of choosing the school you attend now with a golf scholarship? 
The University of Oklahoma is the perfect fit for me because it has every factor that I was looking for. As soon as I stepped out of the car on campus I knew this was the place for me. There was something special in the air. It was an overall gut decision for me.
Can you run us through a typical day of a Varsity Golf Athlete?
A typical day of being a Division 1 Golf Athlete would consist of the following: 6:00am workouts on campus until 7:15am (Consist of weight lifting, core and stability, and conditioning). Classes start anywhere from 8:00am-10:30am (Coach has our schedules set so that we are in class in the mornings so that the afternoons are free for practice, playing, or traveling).

Grab a quick lunch and head to our team practice facility and have practice from 1:00pm-4:00pm (This is the structured team practice time but typically we show up before practice officially starts and stay later as well). Grab some dinner and then off to tutoring at night in the athletic academic center. Freshman students are required to get 10 hours of study hall in each week and then sophomores, juniors, and seniors have either mandatory or voluntary tutoring to maintain good grades. Our day usually winds down at about 7:30pm. Then wake up and do it all over again!
What is your fondest Varsity moment?
I have 2 special varsity moments in golf, I can't choose between the two! 1) Winning the Big XII Championships as a team on the final day in Lawrence, KS in the wind, rain, and cold weather.
2) Advancing from Regionals (top 8 teams advance out of 16) to the National Championship. We made it in on the last day yet again in blustery, rainy conditions and we were all crying and so happy. Everyone's parents were there and it was a special moment for our Sooner family. Having the athletic director call us personally to yell, "Boomer Sooner" was icing on the cake!

What is your favourite golf practice drill?
My favourite golf practice drill would have to be a "gauntlet" that we do at school. My coach sets up 9 pylons around a practice green with a spray painted hole number on the ground next to it. You go to each pylon and have to get the ball up and down from each pylon to the desired hole. We go around it twice so it's like you're playing 18 holes. You make a target goal for yourself (such as getting 16/18 up and down).

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
In 5 years I see myself coaching for a Division 1 school in the NCAA somewhere in the US. I don't know if I will be a head coach or an assistant coach but I would love to be coaching somewhere. Obviously it's every player's dream to play on tour but I think that you could have a family and live a good life in the coaching world. I have such a passion for college golf and I hope to be involved in it for many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment